How will my rent be collected?

You can choose between 2 payment methods: you can pay online using Flywire or with a traditional bank transfer directly on the owner’s bank account.

You will see all the details during the booking process with a specific deadline within which you will have to pay. Remember that the rental payment is on a quarterly basis, unless specified.  


Why Flywire? Milanhousing SRL has a partnership with Flywire to make international payments easier and safer.
Flywire allows you to transfer funds using your currency. By choosing this payment you can save on bank commissions, follow your payment from the beginning until the end and be supported by a 24/7 support team.


Please note that from the second payment onwards, you have to pay the landlord directly. Unless the apartment is directly managed by Milanhousing, future payments can't be done using Flywire.




What is my safe deposit for?

The safe deposit is the amount that you transfer to the landlord upfront as a booking fee and it is a way to secure you the place booked.

The landlord keeps the money as a guarantee that you will respect the contract terms. If the terms are respected you will receive the deposit back within a maximum of 60 days from the end of the contract.

The deposit is also frequently used to cover any damage that might happen during your stay. In this way, it has a secondary function as an insurance.

We know that things break, and we expect some wear and tear to happen, but the owners need the house to be just as good for the next tenant as it was for you. If, when you leave, something requires to be be fixed, repaired, repainted or bought, it will probably be deducted from your deposit, after a deep inspection of the house and a careful evaluation of the damage (our maintenance team will decide if the cost of the eventual damages will be charged to the tenants or to the landlord).


Please remember that the safe deposit can be used also to balance pending expenses, to deduct the last bills (if due) or to pay the contract termination tax (if due).


When do I pay the deposit?

The safe deposit has to be paid during the online booking process along with the first requested part of the rent (from one upt to three months rent to pay in adavance).

When do I get the deposit back?

You usually get the deposit back after your check-out date. The landlord or the housing staff will go back to the apartment to have a look around, try the appliances and see if everything works properly.

If the place is exactly as it was when you moved in, and if you move out the day that you agreed on, you’ll find your deposit returned to you promptly within two months. If the conditions of the apartment are not as good as you found it, the deposit will be used for eventual deductions (damages, extra cleaning). The deposit is also used to deduct eventual pending bills and expenses that you didn't balance during your stay. 


In order to give you back the deposit, we must receive your complete and correct bank details.

How much the security deposit should be?

The safe deposit varies depending on the monthly price of a specific room. Usually, the amount will be three times the monthly rent.

When do I need to tell that I'm leaving the flat?

The notice period is 6 months. We always suggest to inform the Housing Office with an email and sign a document called "Termination Letter" which declares that you are moving out in a specific date.

IMPORTANT: the 6 months prior notice can be communicated only after the first 6 months of the contract, leading to the 12 months minimum stay.


Example: if you want to vacate the flat at the end of August, you must send an official communication by email (and sign the Termination Letter) in March (exactly 6 months before).


We know that you will be very busy with exams and classes, that's why we will send an email to remind you about this important deadline. DON'T FORGET TO INFORM US!


If you do not inform us in time, the duration of the contract will continue after the first year and you must pay the rent until the end of it.

What kind of lease I'm going to sign?

The contract we use is called "Free Lease" (4 years + 4 years), it is a contract lasting maximum for four years, renewable for another four years, with the possibility for the owner to freely determine the rent.


Rights and duties 

As in any contract or lease agreement there are rights and duties for both sides: 

- The owner must give the tenant the accommodation in a state that allows normal residential use

- The tenant has the obligation to pay the rent to the agreed deadlines, to guard the property, using it according to principles of fairness and diligence, and pay the ordinary maintenance costs.


The signing of the contract is an important moment because the involved parties commit mutually. The law states that the lease contract must always be in writing and always registered. It's very important to read everything carefully and make sure that you have absolutely understood all its parts.


The contract, in order to be valid, contains the following essential elements:


The starting date

The date is the day when the contract starts, but it can be different from the date you sign it. From the starting date, the Italian law allows 30 days to register the contract.


The parties

The contract must contain the details of both the landlord and the tenant: name and surname, date of birth, residence, and fiscal code.


The property

Where it is located (municipality, address, building civic number) of how many rooms it is composed, besides the facilities - bathroom and kitchen. It is important to specify the purpose for which it is leased: residential, office, laboratory, etc. The cadastral data must be reported accurately: lot number, section, land area census category, class, cadastral income.


The rent or lease

The contract indicates specifically how much will be paid in one year. This is the agreed price for the lease of the property, without the expenses.


The annual costs

They are the total due amounts for expenses such as doorman, elevator, insurance, water and heating (if centralized). In our case these expenses are called condominium expenses, and they should always be included in the rent.


Cost of maintenance

Extraordinary maintenance expenses and permanent changes or renovations must be paid by the owner. The tenant instead must pay the ordinary expenses related to the consumption (bills, annual maintenance of the boiler, etc.), the cost of the minor maintenance (cloggings, locks, roller shutters, mold, wall paintings, repair and replacement of the water tabs, windows, repair or replace of electric appliances etc.)



The contract expressly prohibits the tenant to rent the property to others (total sublease). The law is really severe on this matter.

What is the fiscal code?

The Fiscal Code (in Italian Codice Fiscale) is the tax code card and it identifies individuals in Italy. It is required for the national health system and it is necessary for private contracts.


You can apply for the fiscal code in your country, by contacting the Italian Embassy or Consulate.

You can also apply for it directly here in Italy within the first week after your arrival. Anyway, if you have the possibility, it’s better you apply for it in your home country: by doing so, you will avoid some bureaucratic procedures, saving a lot of time and energy for your first days in a new country. 


If you are not able to obtain it in your country, don’t worry, we will give some instruction upon arrival.


The request and its release are completely free, but if you won’t be able to provide the fiscal code within a month from the starting date of the contract, by law, there will be a fee (penalty) to pay for the late registration of the lease.

What is the administration fee?

The administration fee is an amount requested by the housing service which includes:


1) Operations management related to contract: writing, adaptation to standards, signing, monitoring of registration and termination deadlines, payment monitoring and reminders

2) Front-office assistance: maintenance interventions and related payments coordination, support in case of cohabitation issues with flatmates, mediation to facilitate students’ relationship with landlords, Help-desk Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 6 PM



This amount has to be paid by POS transactions at the arrival during the check-in appointment and it's not refundable. The payment is requested only once for the entire contract duration. In case of new contract for a different apartment a new admin fee will be requested,

What is the contract registration tax?

The contract, to be legally valid, must be registered at the Agenzia delle Entrate (The Revenue Agency) within a maximum of 30 days from the starting date.


Registration involves the payment of a small tax that is paid each year and it is divided equally between the owner and the tenant, except for those owners who choose the formula of "cedolare secca" (a tax on rents, which can replace the taxes due in the ordinary regime. The choice of "cedolare secca" is optional).


IMPORTANT: The registration of the lease is not only an obligation established by law, but it is also a guarantee for those who rent an apartment that only a registered contract can defend their rights.


In case of late registration due to tenants' faults (for example: not providing the fiscal code within maximum 30 days) the tenants will be charged for the fee. Longer is the delay, higher will be the fee!

Will the property be cleaned before my arrival?

The property should be clean and ready for you to move in. In case of shared apartment If you are not happy with the condition of the property or you notice any damage, you must point this out on the delivery report, an important check-list form you will get during the check-in that you have to fill within the first 24h to ensure that your apartment is properly equipped and in good conditions or to report there are some pre-existing damages.


In any case, we suggest taking pictures as proof of what you will find (it’s really important). Taking photographs may also be helpful in the unlikely event of any dispute at the end of the contract.

I’ve just found the perfect room. Can I visit it?

We hear that question milion times and other questions like “Can you reserve this room until I visit it?” “Nice flat, can I visit it today?” 


These are all reasonable questions. Why do we sometimes say no, then? The truth is that we have to.


Our landlords are part of our network and they are all trusted and professional and most of them have more than one apartment. They simply wouldn’t be able to schedule house viewings for everybody who is making bookings through us.


Sometimes we try to schedule visits according also to the owners availability, but only in certain period of the year (during August, September and October we are often busy with new arrivals and check-in appointments).

How can I be sure of what the apartment will be like?

We visit all the properties, take our own accurate photographs and write the descriptions by ourselves. Because we’ve been to all of these student apartments, we are able to answer to any question you might have.

Is the apartment already furnished?

This is another question we have heard many many times. The answer is yes, all the apartments are furnished with the basic equipment. Check very well the description of the apartment and the rooms, and see all the icons.

How much the utilities will be approximately?

This is a reasonable question but at the same time it's hard to give a precise answer. It depends on the composition of the apartment, how big it is and how many people live in together.


To have an idea of how much your utility bills can be we recommend using NUMBEO, it'a website where you can get some info about the cities living cost in general.


Read and check very carefully what is included and what is not.


The extra costs may vary from €30 up to €70 per month approximately in a shared apartment or they can be higher if you live alone in a studio.


Don't waste the energy, if you leave the house with all the lights on don't get surprised if the bill will be high.


What do I need to bring in my new house?
Just fresh linens, bedsheets and bathroom towels. A duvet/quilt will be provided.
Can I know who my flatmates are?

For privacy reasons we cannot share any details of the other tenants. From the description the only thing you will know is how many students will compose the apartment. We can guarantee that all the tenants are students.

I need a certificate of accommodation for my visa. Can you help me?

Yes, we can provide you the "Accommodation Letter" only once the landlord has received the full payment (three months rent + safe deposit). The letter will be prepared in a couple of working days from your request. To fill and send to you the letter (by email) we need to receive from you the bank receipt of the payment and your passport copy.

What if I decide to cancel my booking after I paid?

In the event that the student declares the intention to cancel the booking (by sending a certified email to Milanhousing SRL and / or the Promissory Landlord) after having paid what is indicated and therefore renouncing to sign the final lease, the student will be subject to the following penalties:

  • In case of cancellation 60 days before the starting date of the final lease, the Promissory Landlord will refund the entire amount deducting bank commissions and administrative costs for finalizing matters equal to €200,00 and the reservation will be canceled.
  • In case of cancellation between 60 and 45 days before the starting date of the final lease, the Promissory Landlord will refund the first quarterly rent from the total received. Bank commissions and administrative costs for finalizing matters equal to €200,00 will be deducted and the reservation will be canceled.
  • In case of cancellation less than 45 days before the starting date of the final lease, the Promissory Landlord will not refund the student and the total amount will be withheld as a penalty and the reservation will be canceled.


  • The penalties above indicated will not apply in the event of Visa refusal, to be communicated at least 30 days before the starting date of the final lease providing an official document of the Embassy or Consulate. In the event the Student omits or delays the sending of the documentation, the refund policy will follow the penalties above indicated.
What's the preliminary agreement I have to accept?

Once the payment is completed and the landlord confirmed, you will be asked to sign the Preliminary Lease Agreement. What is it?

The Preliminary Lease Agreement is a short-form agreement that is entered into by the committed parties which may not set out all the terms of the final contract, but it is a real contract that obligates the two parties involved to sign the final contract.

The parties are called Promissory Landlord and Promissory Tenant.

With the acceptance of the Preliminary Agreement the Promissory Tenant declares to respect all the clauses and therefore to accept the same on the final contract.

If you want to know more about the final contract, please read the FAQ "What kind of lease I'm going to sign?"


Mold growing. What can I do?

The mold is one of the most reported problem of our students. This happens when outside the temperature gets colder and the heating in the apartments starts (from mid-October to mid-April). It can grow on any surface, from the walls to the ceiling and it grows best when there is a lot of moisture from a leaky roof, high humidity, or flood.


Most molds do not harm healthy people. But people who have allergies or asthma may be more sensitive to molds, for this reason is always better to remove it immediately.


Can I control mold growth in my apartment?


Yes you can, some tips hereafter:

Stop water leaks, repair leaky roofs and plumbing. Keep water away from basement walls

Open windows and doors to increase air flow in your home and room. Use a fan if there are no windows available

Make sure that warm air flows into all areas of the home 

Give the entire house a good cleaning, vacuum and clean your home regularly to remove mold spores




In case of mold in an advanced stage please inform immediately the housing office and send us pictures. Our maintenance man will intervene to solve the issue.


How to separate garbage

Towns like Milano collect recyclable rubbish door-to-door, with residents required to separate their waste. In every building there is a designated garbage area (usually located in the internal private courtyard) where you can find different bins with specific colors. These bins are labelled to collect glass, plastic, organic waste and paper. Hereafter the list:




Unsorted waste

All the trash that cannot be treated as separate waste
Collected two times a week



What to put in:

anything that cannot be separated such as, for example, dirty or oily paper, sandpaper, broken ceramic plates in general, plastic games that are are not electronic and without batteries, CDs, DVDs, music and video cassettes, vacuum cleaner filters and bags, nappies, sanitary towels, sticking plasters, disposable razors, and cigarette stubs.

What NOT to put in:

anything that can be separated excepting batteries, oils, medicines, and hazardous containers and materials (glues, paints, solvents, and insecticides), energy saving light bulbs, neon lamps.




Plastic and metal

Plastic bottles, tubes and bags, plastic and polystyrene tubs for food, metal tins and tubes for food, cans for drinks.

Collected once a week



What to put in:

drink cans, cans for oil, jars for vegetable preserves, trays for cooking and preserving food, cans for meat, fish and legumes, cans, trays and jars for animal food, spray cans, caps, capsules and various metal closers, aluminium foil (like the roll for the kitchen and wrapping for chocolate), metal gift boxes for liquor and sweets, drums and buckets, tubes for creams and hygiene products, metal coat hangers, pots and coffee pots, cutlery, keys, padlocks and chains, small metal items.

What NOT to put in:

light bulbs, spray cans and metal containers marked as hazardous products.




Glass only

Bottles, jars and vases

Collected weekly



What to put in:

bottles, jars, and vases.

What NOT to put in:

ceramic plates and cups, incandescent and energy saving light bulbs, neon tubes, mirrors, vetro-ceramic or ceramic containers (like Pyrex), drinking glasses, carafes and items made of glass, and plastic bags.





Newspapers, magazines, books, notebooks, cardboard boxes, cardboard packagings, paper drink containers.

Collected weekly



What to put in:

boxes, cardboard packaging for toys and clothing, shoe boxes, paper bags, cardboard trays and boxes for foodstuffs, newspapers, exercise books and magazines (without adhesive, metal or plastic parts), cartons for drinks (milk, fruit juice, sauces, etc.), egg boxes, and pizza boxes without any leftover food.

What NOT to put in:

plastic, cellophane wrapping, fax and copying thermal paper, paper contaminated by food and/or solvents, till slips, oven paper, plasticised tickets for public transport, paper handkerchiefs, pizza boxes with leftover food, anything that is not clean paper or cardboard.




Food and organic waste

Fruit and vegetables waste, meat, fish, kitchen waste, food leftovers, rice, bread, biscuits, pasta and baked food

Collected: twice a week



What to put in:

waste from the kitchen, leftover food, (after removing excess oil), various types of food without packaging, coffee grounds, tea filters, used paper tissues and table napkins, flowers, remains of and leaves from indoor plants, pizza cartons with food residue.

What NOT to put in:

liquids, oil, food packaging paper (greaseproof or plasticised paper), cigarette stubs, dust or home cleaning materials.



IMPORTANT:  JUNKER is an app that helps you to separate your waste correctly and to keep the city clean. Free and easy to use, it contains complete information for correctly separating household waste, just scan the product and it will be automatically assigned to the correct bin.


If you ask, we can send you by email the official separation waste guide of Milano city.